On Aug 28th 2020 – Anke Winchenbach was our guest on the Humanistic Management Professionals Lunch and Learn. She discussed her research on dignity at work, particularly focusing on her recent publication ‘Rethinking decent work: the value of dignity in tourism employment’ in the Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
Wages in tourism are unsustainable – meaning – people can’t sustain themselves on the wages – so there is high turnover – it’s not considered a career.
Ways to create dignity in service industry
- Work that matters
- Good Wages (capable of sustaining a living)
- Camaraderie (like the people you work with – sense of belonging)
- Self worth and self respect
Resources: ILO Guidelines for decenter work – https://www.ilo.org/legacy/english/osh/en/story_content/external_files/fs_st_1-ILO_4_en.pdf
Randy Hodson book – Dignity at Work – https://www.amazon.com/Dignity-at-Work-Randy-Hodson/dp/0521778123
Sharon Bolton -book – Dimensions of Dignity at Work – https://www.amazon.com/Dimensions-Dignity-Work-Sharon-Bolton/dp/1138433810/
3 things you can do to create dignity at work:
- Fair Wages (must be sustainable)
- Open Dialogue with Employees – encourage respect – value your people – as people.
- Encourage feedback – check and measure – dignity and – mental health metrics